MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY IRELAND
HEATH CARE ASSISTANT REQUIRED
South Dublin Region
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organisation that
provides support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their
families. Muscular Dystrophy Ireland envisages an Ireland that enables
people with neuromuscular conditions to fully participate in society
and reach their full potential.
OUR MISSION: Our mission is to support people with Muscular Dystrophy.
We do this, using a member-centred approach, by:
* Providing information and support to people with neuromuscular
conditions and their families through a range of support services.
* Advocating for services and entitlements for members, educating
and informing society about the conditions.
* Supporting researchers and clinicians to carry out quality
research into neuromuscular conditions.
ABOUT MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY: Muscular Dystrophy is a collective name for
a range of neuromuscular conditions. It is characterised as a
progressive weakening, wasting and loss of _muscle_ mass over time. It
can present at birth, childhood or manifest later in life.
MDI RESPITE SERVICES: MDI respite service is an essential support for
people living with Muscular Dystrophy and their families. MDI provides
the service of a Health Care Assistant to assist our members with
Muscular Dystrophy in their homes and communities. The purpose of this
role is to enable our members to achieve maximum independence in all
aspects of daily living by providing assistance in one or more of the
following areas: personal care, home care, social and community
participation and educational and employment assistance. Health Care
Assistance Services provide people with the opportunity to exercise
control and choice in their lives. In so doing it enables people to be
active participants within their families, communities, and society.
The holder of this position will provide overnight personal care and
support in home three nights a week to assist a young male member with
Muscular Dystrophy in the South West Dublin Area.
Overall key duties will involve assisting with night-time routines
throughout the night. This will involve assisting with personal care
needs such as personal hygiene, toileting, transferring, dressing,
hoisting, lifting, turning, mealtimes etc. Other key duties will
involve assisting with assistive interventions and use of specific
machines such as medication administration, peg feeding, cough assist,
BiPaP, suctioning etc. Training will be provided in these areas as
required. Additional duties listed below.
LOCATION: South West Dublin, providing personal care in members home
DATES AND TIMES: 3 nights per week from **Apply on the
website**.**Apply on the website**pm – 7.**Apply on the website**am.
Nights required is Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday but there is some
REPORTING TO: Respite Administrator under the supervision of the Head
CONTRACT TYPE: Part-time
ADDITIONAL KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist with personal care needs as identified by MDI e.g.
mealtimes, personal hygiene, toileting, transferring, turning,
dressing, hoisting etc
* Assist with assistive interventions as identified by MDI; such as
medication administration, peg feeding, administering cough assist,
BiPaP, suctioning etc.
* Maintain confidentiality and discretion around all Personal
* Develop and build professional relationships with MDI members and
family members applying a family centred approach
* Participate in internal supervision with line manager
* Work as part of a multidisciplinary team with all MDI staff e.g.
Family Support Worker, Youth Worker etc.
* Adhere to all MDI policies and procedures; employment handbook,
vulnerable adults safeguarding policy, children first policy, PA
guidelines, social-media policy, confidentiality policy etc.
* Submit timesheets monthly
* Attend staff training as required
* Report directly to the Respite Administrator (based in Dublin) re
annual leave, sick leave, policies, guidelines etc.
* Assist members in leading an active and independent life of their
* If doing additional MDI Health Care Assistant work outside of the
hours scheduled and listed above the role can also involve providing
assistance in home and out of home in one or more of the following
areas: personal care, home care, social and community participation,
educational and employment assistance, supporting youth services and
youth engagement etc.
* Any other duties that may be required by the organisation to
fulfil the needs of the post from time to time
* A qualification in (or working towards a qualification in) Health
Care Assistant, Nursing, Pre-nursing etc.
* Experience or understanding of working with people with
* Knowledge of Muscular Dystrophy or a willingness to learn about
* Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with
a good level of spoken and written English
* Be reliable, trustworthy and always maintain confidentiality
* Proven ability to apply an empathetic and non-judgemental approach
* Enthusiasm and patience
* Excellent time management and teamwork skills
* Capacity to work on own initiative
* Due to the nature of this work, flexible working is a feature of
* Have the following training completed and in-date:
* First Aid Training
* Manual handling and People Moving Training
* Children’s First Training
* Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Training
* Training and experience in using specific equipment: peg feeding,
administering cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
* Part-Time Contract
* €**Apply on the website**.**Apply on the website** per hour
* Probation period of 6 months
* This post is subject to successful Garda clearance and two
* Must complete mandatory training in the following (within the
first month of beginning to work with MDI):
* Manual handling and People Moving
* Children’s First
* Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
* First Aid
* MDI General PA Induction Training including shadowing
* Training using specific equipment: peg feeding, administering
cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
* Due to the nature of the service, flexible working is a feature of
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to: **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**.
The closing date is Friday **Apply on the website**th of September at
Shortlisting will be applied, and interviews will take place end of
_MDI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER_
We need : English (Good)