JOB TITLE: HEALTH PROMOTION PROFESSIONAL
MANAGER: HEALTH CHECK MANAGER
CONTRACT: **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE** MONTH FULL-TIME FIXED TERM CONTRACT
WITH POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION
The Irish Heart Foundation is Ireland’s national charity dedicated
to fighting heart disease and stroke. Every hour someone in Ireland
suffers a stroke and every day hundreds of people are diagnosed with
heart conditions. The lives of these people are often cut tragically
short. Many are left with disabilities. Almost 9,**Apply on the
website** die from heart conditions and stroke every year in Ireland
making cardiovascular disease one of the nation’s biggest killers.
We work to turn this around – support people to live healthy lives
and avoid cardiovascular disease, but also to support people living
with heart conditions and stroke.
We are looking for a compassionate, patient-centred person with
excellent health promotion knowledge and skills. The ideal person will
have first-hand experience of working with disadvantaged communities
and be comfortable working on a one-to-one and group basis in the GP
practice setting. This role will be of interest to someone who is
passionate about supporting lifestyle behaviour change and
self-management and excited by the opportunity to play a part in this
This role forms part of a broader project: ‘Chronic Disease
Management High Risk Prevention Programme – Maximising its
Impact’, funded by the HSE. The project aims to co-design, deliver
and evaluate a cardiovascular lifestyle behaviour change pilot
programme for patients in disadvantaged communities who are identified
by the high-risk prevention programme. One objective is to compare and
contrast the impact and long-term cost effectiveness of behaviour
change programmes delivered by appropriately trained practice nurses
with similar programme led by a health promotion professional.
The role entails rotating between three GP practices (one day per week
in each practice) delivering six x weekly sessions to **Apply on the
website** patients per practice. The remaining two days per week will
focus on follow up phone calls and administration. It is planned that
there will be eight x six-week modules in one year.
* Following recruitment of suitable patients by the GP practice, the
health promotion professional will organise and deliver structured
health coach interventions focusing on cardiovascular risk factors, in
person and/or by phone/online to a minimum of **Apply on the website**
patients over **Apply on the website** months. Group sessions may be
required, depending on the co-design outcomes.
* Using health promotion knowledge and skills to set goals and
motivate behaviour change on a lifestyle risk factor, as identified by
the individual patient
* Build a professional relationship with the staff in each general
* Schedule dates and times and carry out a series of follow up phone
calls at 3, 6 and 9 months with individual patients.
* Recruit patients to the closed Facebook group following completion
of the six-week programme.
* Support practice nurse training, as necessary
* Adhere to all relevant project protocols.
* Regular liaison with the Health Check Manager including submission
* Working with the IHF Health Promotion Team regarding the design
and roll out of each of the CVD lifestyle risk factor interventions
* Responsible for all data management
* Become familiar with local support services and signpost project
participants to services, as required
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
A relevant third level qualification in Health Promotion, or allied
health discipline. Minimum 5 years relevant experience preferably in
health promotion, particularly community health.
* Fluent written and spoken English. Awareness of health literacy
* Strong experience in delivery of health promotion
* Knowledge of health behaviour change models and techniques such as
goal setting, prompt of feedback/review of behaviour, self-monitoring,
planning social support.
* Motivational Interviewing/Brief intervention skills required
* Ability to build client rapport, to listen and have empathy
* Demonstrate experience of working with disadvantaged communities
* Demonstrate an understanding and current knowledge of CVD risk
factors and relevant interventions
* Strong logistical and planning capabilities are essential.
* Ideally have ENGAGE men’s health training and be familiar with
taking a gendered approach
* Excellent data entry and report writing skills with exceptional
attention to detail.
* Flexibility including out of hours.
* Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal
* Knowledge of General Data Protection Regulation guidelines
* Strong computer and MS Office skills.
* A self-motivated person with strong administration, communication
and time management skills.
* Ability to represent the Irish Heart Foundation in a professional
manner at all times.
* Membership of the Health Promotion Practitioners’ register and
the Association for Health Promotion Ireland is desirable.
DETAILS OF ROLE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
_This is a full-time role, Monday to Friday for a one year fixed term
contract. The role is based in the Irish Heart Foundation’s offices
in Rathmines, Dublin. Currently staff are working remotely and the
successful candidate will be supported to work remotely initially
according to public health guidelines._
_To apply please provide an up to date curriculum vitae and cover
letter outlining how you suit the post by email to Siobhan Browne, HR
_EMAIL: **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**_
_The closing date for this position is FRIDAY OCTOBER **APPLY ON THE
WEBSITE**TH **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**_
_THE IRISH HEART FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER._
_THE IRISH HEART FOUNDATION HAS A NO SMOKING POLICY. EMPLOYEES ARE NOT
PERMITTED TO SMOKE WHILST UNDERTAKING ANY DUTIES ON BEHALF OF THE
We need : English (Good)