ROLE Visit Officer (including responsibilities as an appointed
DIRECTORATE Compliance, Audit & Risk
REPORTING TO Compliance Reviewer
Working as part of a team, the Visit Officer is responsible for
visiting allocated childcare services contracted in the Early Year’s
programmes and ensuring that these services are complying with rules
and standards set out by Pobal and the Department of Children,
Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (DCEDIY). In relation to
the National Childcare Scheme (NCS), the Visit Officer will be
operating in a regulatory environment checking adherence to the
relevant legislation supporting the scheme.
Compliance checks under NCS will be conducted as “reviews” under
the Childcare Support Act **Apply on the website**, with the Visit
Officer being appointed as an “Authorised Officer” in order to
conduct such checks. This appointment bestows additional powers on the
Visit Officer as outlined in the Act.
The appointment/designation as an Authorised Officer (AO) is subject
to being issued with a warrant card by Pobal and the powers of an AO
are not valid until such time as the warrant is received. The
appointment as AO and the issuing of a warrant is at Pobal’s
discretion and is for a fixed period which can then be renewed or
revoked at any time at Pobal’s discretion.
The Visit Officer will liaise effectively with colleagues in the
compliance section and occasionally across the Directorate to ensure
the efficient and effective delivery of all activities. They will also
work collaboratively across the company on working groups etc. from
time to time. This job description outlines the core responsibilities
of the role.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
SUPPORT AND SERVICES
* Plan and carry out unannounced compliance visits/inspections of
early years services as allocated (by Compliance Administrator) to
meet agreed targets and timescales as set out by Compliance Managers.
* Record all issues identified during the course of the compliance
visit/inspection and ensure the accuracy of same.
* For ECCE and CCSP, assign a categorisation to the childcare
services based on the relevant findings.
* Under NCS, conduct a “review” of a series of legislative
requirements and conduct contractual checks and determine if the
service is “compliant” or “non-compliant” for each.
* On an ongoing basis, ensure completed compliance forms are
submitted to the relevant ICT system, and finalised for review by the
* Conduct follow up visits where required to ensure the appropriate
steps have been actioned by the service provider to rectify certain
non-compliance issues identified.
* Liaise closely with the Compliance Reviewer and provide
explanations/confirmations where required.
* Liaise closely with Compliance Managers, escalating matters as
appropriate, and informing them of any significant/ongoing issues
identified arising from compliance results in a timely manner.
* Assist in the preparation of reports and complete any follow up
actions arising from visits/inspections undertaken.
* Assist with responses to queries submitted through the compliance
queries mailbox and the Service Provider Centre, as necessary.
* Engage in the formal NCS appeals process by providing requested
information and explanations in a timely basis.
* Assist in implementing, developing and maintaining efficient and
effective systems including the use of the Programme Implementation
Platform (PIP), Early Years Platform (EYP) and SharePoint systems.
* Attendance and proactive participation at Compliance Team
* Required to undertake a comprehensive training programme which
focuses on both the technical elements and generic inspection skills
relating to the role.
* Participate in ongoing training, practice development and
upskilling to reflect any changes to the childcare schemes including
* Assist in the preparation and updating of internal procedures
documents for use by Visit Officers during visits.
* Assist in the identification and reporting of issues of risk.
* Contribute to the innovation and continuous improvement of the
Compliance Section in the CAR Directorate.
* May be required to provide administrative supports for periods
e.g. collate relevant data and produce regular reports
* Any other duties that may be assigned within the general
requirements of the role as appropriate for the grade.
* Communication skills – Level 3
* Teamwork – Level 3
* Customer service & support – Level 3
* Analytical skills – Level 3
* Attention to detail – Level 3
* Building and maintain relationships – Level 3
* Flexibility & adaptability – Level 3
* Problem solving & decision making – Level 3
* Organisation awareness – Level 3
* Educational attainment to Level 8 qualification, and a minimum of
two years of relevant experience.
* Administration work experience/knowledge
* Strong organisational skills and a proven ability to work to
* Proficient in MS packages (e.g. Excel, Word and Outlook)
* Knowledge of workings of the community/voluntary/public sector
* Knowledge of Government Accounting Regulations
* Prior exposure to the Early Years sector
OTHER ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
* Full driving licence and provision of car for business purposes
* Note that a high degree of flexibility is required and there may
be an occasional requirement for some overnight visits.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Pobal’s Grade 2 Salary scale is €**Apply on the
website**,**Apply on the website** - €**Apply on the
website**,**Apply on the website** per annum
- A probationary period of six months will apply
- Pobal operates a defined contribution pension scheme. Employees have
access to the scheme on successful completion of their six- month
* Annual Leave
- Annual leave will be **Apply on the website** working days per
annum, exclusive of public holidays
* Garda Vetting
- All candidates will be required to successfully complete the
standard Garda Vetting procedure
* Travel & Subsistence
- Travel and subsistence will be paid at public sector rates
* Location of the position
- 1 position based in Dublin office
- 1 position based in Cork office
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based
on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description
and person specification. A panel will be created out of this process
for upcoming vacancies within the next 6 months.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the application form on the
We need : English (Good)