EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT SPECIALIST
We now have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and highly-motivated
individual to join our team as an Employment Support Specialist and to
play a central role in helping our adult members with Down syndrome
achieve and sustain work placement/paid employment.
JOB TITLE: Employment Support Specialist – DSI Louth Meath
JOB LOCATION: Working from home, with travel as required.
HOURS OF WORK: **Apply on the website** hours per week
(Some out of office hours work may be required, subject to the support
needs of participants)
CONTRACT: **Apply on the website** month fixed-term contract, may be
extended subject to funding.
PROBATION: 6 month probationary period(initial review after 3 months)
RENUMERATION: €**Apply on the website**,**Apply on the
website**(pro-rata) (equivalent to HSE Senior Supervisor/Instructor
scale) depending on experience/qualifications (with mileage)
REPORTING TO: Committee DSI Louth Meath Branch, with liaison function
to DSI National office Employment Officer
* Drive a person centered approach to supporting participants to
access work opportunities and achieve sustained meaningful employment.
* Provide support to employers to ensure successful outcomes from
* Develop a profile for each participant based on their interest,
capabilities and needs and develop a positive working relationship
* Have a comprehensive understanding of available job roles/work
opportunities for participants and help match them to appropriate
placements, taking full account of both participant and employer
* Develop a network of suitable employers who will offer work
opportunities (work experience, job placements, trials, internships,
volunteering), liaising with them, providing pre-employment training
for them & supporting them as needed during delivery of the placement.
* Negotiate with the employer on the terms of the employment.
* Conduct task analysis prior to job start. Deliver pre-placement
* To support participants on a day-to-day basis in their work
placements (on a reducing phased basis).
* Working professionally and collaboratively with the established
employment team in national office & employment committee in the Louth
* Work professionally, effectively and sensitively with key
stakeholders to ensure that all participants are safe, feel safe and
are listened to with any concerns.
* Keep up to date on policies and programmes of relevance to the
employment of adults with Down syndrome.
* Assist with the completion of necessary paperwork incl.
evaluations, reports & documentation. Develop and maintain robust
record keeping procedures in line with relevant data protection and
* Commit to ongoing professional development.
* Conduct any other duties in line with the main objective set out
* The ability to motivate and assist adults with Down syndrome to
access, secure and maintain employment in the open labour market.
* The ability to act as advocate for adults with Down syndrome and
to foster relationships with employers across the wider Louth, Meath
and adjacent area.
* Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
* Strong Team working skills and an ability to work on own
* Excellent administration, organisation & ICT Skills
* Possess a full clean driving license and have access to a car.
* Possess a standard leaving certificate and a relevant third
level/further education qualification.
* Supported employment qualification and/or intellectual disability
support/advocacy related qualification
* Experience and understanding of the issues facing adults with
intellectual disability in accessing employment.
* An acute understanding of the ethos of Down Syndrome Ireland and a
passionate belief in the abilities of people with Down syndrome.
* A wider awareness of the importance of working towards a
choice-based independent life for individuals with Down syndrome
* An ability to work with families, problem solve, research and
communicate and advocate for adults with Down syndrome
Two employer referees(including most recent employer)
Garda vetting for the role is mandatory.
Closing date for receipt of applications is **Apply on the website**th
August **Apply on the website**
Applications should be email to **Apply on the website**
We need : English (Good)