MACRA NA FEIRME
JOB TITLE: SENIOR POLICY OFFICER
LOCATIONS: Irish Farm Centre, Bluebell, Dublin **Apply on the
website** (hybrid model of working)
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent subject to the successful completion of a 6
months’ probation period
REPORTING TO: Deputy Chief Executive Officer
HOURS: **Apply on the website**.5 Hours per week,
ABOUT MACRA NA FEIRME
Macra na Feirme is a vibrant, independent, non-profit, national
voluntary organisation for rural young people and young farmers
between the ages of **Apply on the website** and **Apply on the
website** engaged in youth development and training. The organisation
consists of a nationwide network of clubs which support a range of
activities in agriculture, sport, travel, public speaking and
Macra na Feirme is committed to the personal development of members
and puts emphasis on social interaction and participation.
Macra na Feirme employs **Apply on the website** staff and involves
hundreds of volunteers on a weekly and monthly basis in the delivery
of services to members through almost **Apply on the website** clubs
across the country.
Macra na Feirme is a registered charity and is supported by a
combination of statutory, agricultural industry and corporate funding.
Macra na Feirme is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are recruiting for a Senior Policy Officer to develop and deliver
of policy that best represent our **Apply on the website**,**Apply on
the website** members. The policy that will be developed will not be
restricted to agricultural policy, we will also be developing social
policy as it pertains to rural youth in Ireland.
The successful candidate for this role will be required to support our
volunteers who have been to the forefront of policy development over
the last few years. This role will, in addition to developing policy
require a degree of advocacy and the ability to interact with
disparate groups in the representation of our members and their needs.
This role will require attendance out of normal business hours as well
as an ability to travel outside of normal business hours.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
The successful candidate will be required:
* Ongoing needs analysis for both rural Ireland and the agricultural
industry to best position Macra na Feirme as a thought leader in our
* Maintain and develop strong ties with outside bodies both
representative and state bodies that represent the needs of our rural
* Develop links with academic institutions to encourage the joint
development of policy
* Work closely with the standing committees of Macra na Feirme and
in particular the president of Macra na Feirme
* Develop policies that best reflect the reality of living in rural
The ideal candidate will:
* Be an excellent and confident communicator
* Be highly motivated self-starter with at least ten years policy
experience, with at least three of these at a senior level.
* Be in possession of a considerable body of policy that they were
responsible for developing
* Have experience of academic partnership
* Be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the issues that
face both rural youth and young farmers
* Have excellent leadership, time management and communication
* Understand and exude the value of teamwork, with the ability to
work well on one’s one initiative as part of a small dynamic team
* Highly creative and innovative
* Extensive Knowledge and experience in the Agriculture Sector
* Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in an Agri related discipline,
ideally a Masters degree in an Agri related discipline.
* A passion for farming and rural life
* Knowledge of the range of roles and skills required within the
* An understanding of the various stakeholders within the
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* An excellent team worker with a strong sense of autonomy and the
ability to work on own initiative.
* A forward thinker, ideas generator and solution driven.
* A demonstrated commitment to equality and diversity issues.
* The capability to interface confidently with the all stakeholders
is a key element of the role.
* An ability to prioritise tasks and projects and learn in a dynamic
* Ability to handle confidential matters with utmost integrity
* Excellent people management and relationship management skills
* Experience of working with senior management and at board level
* Experience of working with senior management of state bodies
* Full clean driving license
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
LOCATION: Irish Farm Centre, Bluebell, Dublin **Apply on the website**
(hybrid model of working).
SALARY: Subject to experience.
CONTRACT: Permanent subject to the successful completion of six months
ANNUAL LEAVE: **Apply on the website** working days exclusive of
public holidays (pro-rata).
TRAVEL & SUBSISTENCE: Travel & subsistence will be paid at public
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT: Macra na Feirme provides regular opportunities
for training, development and upskilling
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE: Macra na Feirme operate an Employee Assistance
Programme for all employees.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be made sending a comprehensive CV and cover-letter
by email to **Apply on the website** on or before **Apply on the
website** Aug **Apply on the website**
The Selection Process may include:
* shortlisting of candidates, on the basis of the information
contained in their application which demonstrates whether they meet
the requirements for the role;
* video interview;
* competitive interview(s) which will be informed by requirements of
We need : English (Good)