PERSONAL ASSISTANT REQUIRED
**APPLY ON THE WEBSITE** HOURS A WEEK
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organisation that
provides support to people with neuromuscular conditions and their
families. Muscular Dystrophy Ireland envisages an Ireland that enables
people with neuromuscular conditions to fully participate in society
and reach their full potential.
OUR MISSION: Our mission is to support people with Muscular Dystrophy.
We do this, using a member-centred approach, by:
* Providing information and support to people with neuromuscular
conditions and their families through a range of support services.
* Advocating for services and entitlements for members, educating
and informing society about the conditions.
* Supporting researchers and clinicians to carry out quality
research into neuromuscular conditions.
ABOUT MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY: Muscular Dystrophy is a collective name for
a range of neuromuscular conditions. It is characterised as a
progressive weakening, wasting and loss of _muscle_ mass over time. It
can present at birth, childhood or manifest later in life.
OVERVIEW OF MDI PERSONAL ASSISTANT SERVICE:
MDI Personal assistant service is an essential support for people
living with Muscular Dystrophy and their families. MDI provides the
service of a PA/HCW to assist our U**Apply on the website** and adult
members with Muscular Dystrophy in their homes and communities. It
will involve working across our Youth Service, Adult Personal
Assistant Service and Youth Summer Overnight Camps and Adult Breaks
The purpose of PA/HCW role is to enable our members to achieve
independence in all aspects of daily living by providing assistance in
one or more of the following areas: personal care, home care, social
and community participation, educational and employment assistance and
holidays away. Personal assistance services provide people with the
opportunity to exercise control and choice in their lives. In so doing
it enables people to be active participants within their families,
communities, and society.
The holder of this position will provide day time personal care and
support with exercises in home 5 days per week to assist a young male
member with Muscular Dystrophy in the Letterkenny Area.
Overall key duties will involve assisting with personal care needs
such as personal hygiene, assisting with exercises, transferring,
dressing, hoisting, mealtimes, exercises etc. Training will be
provided in these areas as required. Additional duties listed below.
LOCATION: Letterkenny, providing personal care in members’ home
DATES AND TIMES: 5 days per week. Monday to Friday from 2pm – 6pm.
Thursdays 2pm -5 pm. **Apply on the website** hours per week
REPORTING TO: Respite Administrator under the supervision of the Head
CONTRACT TYPE: Ad hoc
ADDITIONAL KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist with personal care needs as identified by MDI e.g.
mealtimes, personal hygiene, toileting, transferring, turning,
dressing, hoisting etc
* Maintain confidentiality and discretion around all Personal
* Develop and build professional relationships with MDI members and
family members applying a family centred approach
* Participate in internal supervision with line manager
* Work as part of a multidisciplinary team with all MDI staff e.g.
Family Support Worker, Youth Worker etc.
* Adhere to all MDI policies and procedures; employment handbook,
vulnerable adults safeguarding policy, children first policy, PA
guidelines, social-media policy, confidentiality policy etc.
* Submit timesheets monthly
* Attend staff training as required
* Report directly to the Respite Administrator (based in Dublin) re
annual leave, sick leave, policies, guidelines etc.
* Assist members in leading an active and independent life of their
* If doing additional MDI Personal Assistant work outside of the
hours scheduled and listed above the role can also involve providing
assistance in home and out of home in one or more of the following
areas: personal care, home care, social and community participation,
educational and employment assistance, supporting youth services and
youth engagement etc.
* Any other duties that may be required by the organisation to
fulfil the needs of the post from time to time
* A qualification in (or working towards a qualification in) Health
Care Assistant or equivalent etc.
* Experience or understanding of working with people with
* Knowledge of Muscular Dystrophy or a willingness to learn about
* Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with
a good level of spoken and written English
* Be reliable, trustworthy and always maintain confidentiality.
* Proven ability to apply an empathetic and non-judgemental approach
* Enthusiasm and patience
* Excellent time management and teamwork skills
* Capacity to work on own initiative
* Due to the nature of this work, flexible working is a feature of
* Have the following training completed and in-date:
* First Aid Training
* Manual handling and People Moving Training
* Children’s First Training
* Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Training
* Training and experience in using specific equipment: peg feeding,
administering cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
* Ad-hoc Contract
* **Apply on the website** hours a week, days and times above
* If a qualified HCA: €**Apply on the website**,**Apply on the
* If a non-qualified HCA: Personal Assistant rate is €**Apply on
the website**.**Apply on the website** per hour
* Probation period of 6 months
* This post is subject to successful Garda clearance and two
* Must complete mandatory training in the following (within the first
month of beginning to work with MDI):
* Manual handling and People Moving
* Children’s First
* Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
* First Aid
* MDI General PA Induction Training including shadowing
* Training using specific equipment: peg feeding, administering
cough assist, BiPaP, suctioning etc.
* Due to the nature of the service, flexible working is a feature of
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to: **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**
The closing date is Tuesday 6th December at 5pm
Shortlisting will be applied, and interviews will take place
throughout the month of December
We need : English (Good)