Disability, Integration and Youth]
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WORKER WITH THE ROMA COMMUNITY (FULL TIME)
Donegal Travellers Project is a county wide organisation which works
to promote Traveller and Roma Human Rights in Donegal through
community development, policy development, advocacy and collective
JOB TITLE: Community Development Worker with the Roma community
REPORTING TO: Project Manager
EMPLOYER: Donegal Travellers Project
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE: The purpose of this post is to develop a
community development approach to work with the Roma community.
The Community Development Worker with the Roma Community will promote
the practice of community development in the delivery of this project.
SALARY :Terms and conditions will be in line with DTP’s company
policies and salary scales
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
* The Community and Youth Development officer will be required to
work **Apply on the website** hours per week.
* This role will be subject to a 3-month probationary period.
* Full Clean Driver’s License and access to transport.
* This is a one year fixed term contract with the opportunity for
the programme to be extended pending funding.
* The post will require working outside of normal office hours for
which candidates will be compensated through an operational system of
“time in lieu.”
* Travel and Subsistence expenses will be provided in accordance
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO...
* Establish working relationships with members of the Roma community
living in Donegal through outreach work, neighborhood work and working
as part of the Roma Team.
* Provide support/advocacy to Roma families and individuals to
access public services including social welfare, housing and
* Implement a community development approach to address the thematic
areas as set out in the National Traveller and Roma Inclusion Strategy
as they impact on the Roma community.
* Develop culturally sensitive responses to crisis or trauma which
impact on the community e.g. Homelessness
* Develop submissions and reports to promote the inclusion of the
Roma community both at local, regional and national policy
* Support Roma children and young people’s participation and
outcomes in preschool, primary and secondary education including after
schools, youth work and summer programmes.
* Develop and deliver community-based education
* Host events/training to raise awareness of the history and
identity of the Roma Community which will be informed by an
* To carry out all reporting requirements including financial
oversight with administration to the funders and management of DTP.
* This list of duties is not exhaustive and may be amended in
order that the funded programme can be fully delivered and meets the
requirements of Rethink Ireland.
* WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
APPROACH TO SOCIAL INCLUSION: You will be required to demonstrate a
knowledge and understanding of a community development approach to
social inclusion issues.
* EXCELLENCE COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS INCLUDING IT
EXPERTISE: You will have experience of forming good working
relationships with communities and organisations, combined with
excellent written, verbal communication, listening skills and IT
skills including excellent online social media skills as a tool for
promoting and building the profile of the project
* AWARENESS OF THE ROMA COMMUNITY: You will be required to
demonstrate a knowledge of the Roma community in Ireland and relevant
organisations and services.
* SKILLS TO CARRY OUT BASELINE STUDIES AND EVALUATION METHODOLOGIES:
You will be required to demonstrate that you can collate qualitative
and quantitative data.
* RELEVANT THIRD LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS: A recognised third level
qualification relevant to the role and/or experience in community work
* ‘OTHER’: You must hold a clean, current driving license as
travel across Donegal and beyond will be a requisite of this role.
* Excellent organisational and communication skills including IT;
* Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
* Understanding of community development and Human Rights;
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate
care and consideration;
* Ability to work as part of a wider team;
* A working knowledge of relevant legislation and policy which would
inform the practice of the Roma community Development Project.
* Commitment to Anti-Racism and Equality
APPLY IN WRITING WITH CV AND COVER LETTER TO **APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**
CLOSING DATE: **Apply on the website**th of February at **Apply on the
The successful candidate will be subject to garda vetting.
We need : English (Good)