BACKGROUND: ST CATHERINE’S COMMUNITY SERVICES CENTRE TRAVELLER
PROGRAM, ARE RECRUITING A
PART TIME TRAVELLER COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER (**APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**
HOURS PER WEEK)
BASED IN: Carlow
Overall purpose of the role is to work as a part of a team to improve
the health outcomes for Travellers in County Carlow. This is an Irish
Traveller peer led programme, where Travellers engage and work with
their own community, working towards improving the health status
(physical, social and mental wellbeing) of Travellers and achieving
equality of outcomes for the Irish Traveller Community in Carlow and
THE TRAVELLER COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER WILL OUTREACH TO THE TRAVELLER
COMMUNITY TO DELIVER PEER LED HEALTH EDUCATION, AGREED HEALTH MESSAGES
AND HEALTH PROMOTION ACTIVITIES TO TRAVELLERS AS FOLLOW:
* Promote health for Travellers through leading out health promotion,
education, training, and information sharing initiatives.
* Support Travellers in Carlow to access existing services that
impact on health and contribute to the promotion of health in the
* Work in partnership with relevant services to influence policy and
practice so that services better meet the needs of Travellers.
* Contribute to the development and representation of Carlow Primary
Health Care Project as part of the staff team
* Undertake continuous professional development to fill gaps in your
skills, knowledge, confidence, and ability to deliver the role.
* To enhance communication between Traveller families and health
service providers so that best uptake and use is made of Health
Services by Travellers.
* Support and encourage Traveller families to attend health
appointment; identify barriers in up-taking services; assisting with
Medical Card Applications and renewals.
* Outreach and delivery of peer led health education, health
promotion and key health messages on lifestyle changes from the HSE
Social Inclusion Carlow TCHW Programme and signposting of individuals
and families to services for support when necessary.
* Take part in training coordinated by the Regional Traveller Health
Liaison Nurse as well as mandatory and core training provided by
* As part of a staff team, to represent the Clonmel Traveller
Community Health Project on relevant local, regional, and national
committees, working groups and interagency committees relevant to the
work and as required.
* To deliver in-service training on Traveller Cultural Awareness to
front line health services staff and other agencies engaging with
Travellers as required -
* To participate in research on Traveller health issues as requested
by the HSE, the Traveller Health Unit or other relevant agencies.
(This Job Description is not exhaustive, and you may be required to
undertake any other duties relevant to the post which may be assigned
from time to time.)
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT(S) WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE:
* A good standard of education, to at least Junior Certificate level
* A good understanding of Traveller culture and Traveller issues,
particularly in relation to Traveller health and issues which impact
* Good communication, interpersonal and group work skills as well as
the ability to work with relevant families in South Tipperary
* Commitment to human rights and social justice and work from an
equality and anti-racist work perspective
* Demonstrate capacity to work on own initiative and as part of a
* Ability to be flexible around working hours with notice.
Commitment to confidentiality. Access to transport and a full clean
driver’s licence is desirable.
* Shortlisting may apply
* St Catherine’s Community Services Centre is an equal
* The successful applicant(s) will report to the Traveller Community
Health Care Project Coordinator. Garda vetting will apply for this
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
This contract is based on **Apply on the website** working hours per
Contract is subject to continuation of funding.
This position is subject to the satisfactory completion of 6 months
probationary period. The company may decide to extend this period the
post is funded through Health Service Executive (HSE) Social Inclusion
Services, South East Community Healthcare
HOW TO APPLY:
By email, with a covering letter and C.V to Shane Hamilton @ **Apply
on the website**.
Closing date for receipt of applications is **Apply on the website**th
of March **Apply on the website**.
We need : English (Good)