Depaul believes that everyone should have a place to call home and a
stake in their community. Our aim is to work with those who are
socially excluded and marginalised by providing a quality led service
in order to produce the best possible outcomes for those accessing our
services. We strive to empower our service users to make choices and
decisions about the way they live their lives. We work in partnership
with central and local government, housing associations and other
Depaul is an inclusive employer with a diverse workforce. We offer a
standard * hour working week, generous leave
entitlements and a pension scheme. We support all staff with regular
supervision and a wide learning and development programme.
DEPAUL WISHES TO RECRUIT TO THE FOLLOWING ROLE:
FULL-TIME CARE WORKER
HEALTH SUPPORT TEAM – SUNDIAL HOUSE
**APPLY ON THE WEBSITE** HOURS PER WEEK
FIXED TERM FOR ONE YEAR (INCLUDES TWO WEEKENDS PER MONTH ON AVERAGE)
SALARY: €**APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**,**APPLY ON THE WEBSITE**.**APPLY
ON THE WEBSITE** PER ANNUM
This role offers a fantastic opportunity to provide support to our
organisation’s central services in Dublin. Depaul is a values-led
organisation working with a number of services throughout Dublin and
Belfast. This role will report directly to the Local Management Team
and will be responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day personal
care, hygiene and nutritional needs of high support need residents and
infection control in their personal living areas.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of talented
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
* Offer personal care & support in regard to hygiene issues in
accordance with Depaul’s career standards, to uphold the dignity and
respect of the residents
* Prompting service users to take their medication regularly.
* Assisting high support needs residents with getting up in the
morning, washing dressing and changing of clothes, incontinence
management etc. in privacy of rooms.
* Monitor for pressure areas occurring and know what measures to put
in place to prevent them.
* As required, adapt levels of assistance to needs of particular
residents, encouraging maximum levels of independence.
* Apply the Depaul Carer’s personal standard of hygiene in
assisting in the prevention of infection.
* Operate effectively to prevent cross-infection, using recognized
Infection Control measures.
* Assist with maintaining a safe and hygienic environment for
* Offer laundry support for residents – in particular those with
* Support and assist residents where possible to be active
themselves in maintaining good standards of cleanliness in bedrooms.
* Ensure the nutritional needs of residents are met. Assist with
feeding of residents when required.
* Promote and support the importance of a well-balanced diet for
residents with high support care needs
* Where appropriate ensure that food is stored hygienically and
* Offer support and intervene, as directed by the nurse, to the
residents in regard hydration and nutrition.
* Liaise with Shift Co-ordinator, as often as required, and
participate fully in Handovers, when in attendance
* Link in with on-site nurse daily, as required, especially in
regard to resident care.
* Report health issues or concerns to Nurse, Shift co-ordinator and
LMT as required.
* Report all Incidents (as instructed by the Local Management), as
per Depaul’s Incident Management procedure.
* Alert a manager of any crisis or behaviour management issues and
to use on call manager, if no local manager present.
* Support other staff in maintaining good order and organisation in
* If required, at the direction of a manager or Nurse, accompany
residents to medical/health related appointments.
* Support residents in taking their daily medication and keep
appropriate records as per the medication standards on-site.
* Ensure that Health and Safety standards are met within the service
in accordance with Depaul’s Health and Safety policy and localised
* Undertake assigned duties regarding the overall security of the
house and to use security systems put in place.
* Report all Health & Safety issues and manage same, as appropriate
to your role.
* Work collaboratively with other carers and all other staff in the
best interests of the residents.
* Use the formal communication systems of the service (i.e.
Communications book, Case Notes, Handover records etc.) to ensure
effective communication between shifts and other staff.
THE ABOVE LIST IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE; ADDITIONAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
MAY BE ADDED OVER TIME AND FLEXIBILITY TO COVER FOR OTHER STAFF ROLES
IS REQUIRED FROM TIME TO TIME.
* One year’s full time experience as Health Care Assistant,
preferably in a residential setting. It is essential that you have
experience in assisting with personal care management. It is desirable
to have experience/ interest in dealing with homelessness, substance
misuse problems and mental health issues.
* Good standard education.
* QQI/FETAC level 5 Healthcare Support Major Award to work as a
Health Care Assistant.
* Infection Control and Manual Handling
* Understand why people become homeless and the issues they present
with, and what supports can be offered in services to service users
with complex needs
* Understanding of risk management principles.
* Capable of responding calmly in a crisis and use your own
initiative to deal with incidents as they arise
* Be able to work as part of a team understanding the importance of
* Have an understanding of Health and Safety and the health and
safety requirements within a residential setting working with homeless
* Have a knowledge and understanding of the vision, mission and
values of Depaul
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Please download and complete the application form available on the
We need : English (Good)