An exciting opportunity has arisen for 2 dynamic, energetic and
enthusiastic people to join the Team at Ballyfermot Youth Service’s
Adventure Centre. We have an immediate vacancy for two Outdoor
Instructors to work with our new programme funded by the Community
Safety Innovation Fund *
* Instructor/ Leadership qualifications in at least two of the
following sports: Kayaking, Canoeing, Stand up Paddleboarding,
Hillwalking, Rock climbing, Mountain Biking.
* A current outdoor First Aid qualification.
* D1 mini bus licence
* CI Level 3 Kayaking Instructor
* Cycling/Mountain biking instructor award
* Experience in outreach work
* Experience in Outdoor Therapy
* A QQI or Third level qualification in Outdoor Education or a
EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL SKILLS
The Ideal Candidate will have:
* Substantial experience working in Outdoor Education/Adventure
* Experience working with youth.
* The Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with
* Good interpersonal skills, including ability to liaise with a wide
range of contacts and build and maintain effective working
* Ability to be proactive, use own initiative and work effectively
both on their own and within a team.
* Positive and flexible approach to working as part of a team
* Ability to follow organisational guidelines and processes.
* Good computer skills, including Word & Excel and Social Media
* To organise and deliver adventures sports and outdoor education
* To use the Outdoors and Adventure Sports as a medium for personal
and social development with young people.
* To Identify disadvantaged young people who would benefit from
involvement in programmes and activities and encouraging their
involvement through specific outdoor education activities.
* Working as part of a team and using all resources of the Youth
Service to develop the most appropriate programmes
* Record and evaluate the work carried out using the recording
procedures of the project.
* Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the Centre and
* Take part in Outreach work within Ballyfermot
* Planning, implementing and evaluating developmental/educational
programmes to meet the needs of the target group of young people.
* Contribute to the development and expansion of services through
providing feedback on youth issues/needs
* NOTE: These duties are neither definitive nor restrictive and may
be modified to meet changing needs
BYS operates a six day week out of hours service to the young people
of Ballyfermot and Cherry Orchard. Our service provides a wide range
of programmes that aim to enhance the personal and social development
of young people and operates inline with and under the guidance of the
Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.
Ballyfermot Youth Service offers a wide range of programmes across 4
locations within Ballyfermot, our residential centre in Wicklow as
well as utilising the many public outdoor spaces across Dublin and
Wicklow. These programs include but are not limited to: BMXing,
Mountain Biking, Kayaking, White Water Rafting, Team Games, Canoeing,
Stand up paddle boarding, Cycling, Water Safety, Bushcraft, Hill-
Walking, Rock-Climbing, Abseiling, Bush-Craft, Coasteering,
Snorkelling, Pier Jumping, Gorge Walking, Peer Education, Internet
Safety, Football Tournaments, Drugs, Alcohol and Sexual Education,
Art, Drama, Music, Drop in’s, Homework Clubs and involvement in
Erasmus+ Exchanges and Training programmes.
The inclusion of young people underrepresented or socially excluded
within society is vitally important to the work of the Ballyfermot
* CLOSING DATE
The closing date for applications is * midday
on Friday *th November **Apply on the
website**. Interviews will be held on Thursday **Apply on the
* CONTACT DETAILS
Contact details for applicants: please apply with CV and Covering
Letter to * or contact Allegra Lalor on **Apply
on the website** for any queries.
Scale € *, * -
€ *, * depending on
experience and qualifications (as per CDETB Outdoor Education Centres
Instructor Scale *)
* This is a * month contract.
* GARDA VETTING:
As our work involves contact with young people, candidates under
consideration for employment with BYS will be subject to Garda
The successful candidate will undergo 2 reference checks before
commencing employment with BYS.
* HOURS OF WORK:
*hrs a week. The position will require
flexibility in relation to working hours which will include evenings,
weekends and overnights.
This project is supported by the City Of Dublin Youth Services Board
through funding from the UBU your place your space Fund. These
advertised posts are funded by the Community Safety Innovation Fund
*, administered by the Department of Justice.
NOTE: A panel may be formed from which future positions funded from a
variety of sources and locations may be filled.
Ballyfermot Youth Service Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We need : English (Good)